Welcome to the online presence of the International Transactional Analysis Association (ITAA), whether you are already a member or someone who is interested in the ITAA and/or transactional analysis (TA).
The ITAA was founded in 1964 by Dr. Eric Berne and his colleagues. Its aim has been to make the theory of transactional analysis known, to develop it further, and to establish it as an effective approach in the human relational fields.
Today the ITAA has members from about 60 countries, on every continent. Members find a community of interested people with whom they can exchange ideas and learn from each other. This is done through:
• Our monthly newsletter, The Script
• Our highly respected, scholarly Transactional Analysis Journal, with its archive going back to 1971
• Webinars on current topics
• Conferences both online and person
Transactional analysis has applications for understanding both interpersonal relationships and systems. Anyone who works with people and wants a powerful and consistent psychological theory will find an abundance of rich theory and practice in TA.
Those who want to learn TA and develop their skills in using it can find trainers around the world who are members of the ITAA and whose training courses are recognized by the association. We also provide those who are interested in taking their skill development further with opportunities to qualify for certification in TA. Through our International Board of Certification (IBOC) we hold exams by which students may become Certified Transactional Analysts (CTA) and Teaching and Supervising Transactional Analysts (TSTA).
Through ITAA’s committees, TA ideas are further developed and presented in dialogue with interested parties. For example, the Social Engagement Committee deals with topics such as climate change, nonviolent interaction, intersectionality, mental health, and social crises and challenges. The Ethics Committee considers ethical questions that arise in working with clients and/or client systems. We always welcome new participants in our many committees, whatever your area of interest.
The central assumption of TA is: “People are OK.” We want to live this in our encounters with you and others. No prior knowledge or psychological training is needed to get in touch and be in dialogue.
We look forward to ideas, questions, and suggestions from both our members and those who want to become part of this dynamic, person-oriented, international community!
News and Announcements
* Attention: IBOC CTA Contract & Exam Applications Can Now Be Submitted ONLINE. Just click here to begin.
* Attention: Grant Fund for 2020 Birmingham TA World Conference. EATA, FTAA, IARTA, ITAA, and UKATA have financially contributed to the establishment of a Grant Fund. For more information and application, click here.
* ITAA Social Engagement Committee Webinar - Hope & Despair: How do we conceptualise and experience them as transactional analysts - Tuesday, 4 April 2023 • 12 - 13:30 UTC. This event has ended. Click here to listen to the recording